Search Engine Optimization, better known as SEO, is the method of altering the appearance of an entire website or even just a single page in search engine results by performing natural/organic techniques by mean of implementing proper on-page as well as off-page optimization.
The following tips and techniques make up an SEO Checklist that may be used to help get a junior analyst started on the right path to organically ranking a website on the front page of the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) using targeted keywords naturally.
10 Tips to Becoming a Successful SEO Analyst
- Forget everything you know about SEO that involves implementing “Black Hat” techniques into websites.
- Become familiar with common SEO terms and abbreviations.
- Learn how to take advantage of Google help aids; such as Webmaster tools videos.
- Understand and implement organic (white hat) techniques that can be learned from those Webmaster Tool help videos.
- Take advantage of free tools. Google offers a slew of different free tools including the replacement for recently removed “Google Keyword Tool” known as the “Goolge Keyword Planner”.
- Make proper use of analytics. This would include traffic monitoring tools and even backlink checkers.
Good SEO Analyst Tools
- For analyzing traffic demographics there’s Google Analytics,
- Use both Bing and Google Webmaster tools to discover what keywords you’re site might be indexing for in the SERPs.
- When checking backlinks there are plenty of tools out there including aherfs as well as the latest MOZ search engine for links tool known as Open Site Explorer.
- Many social media sites even offer tailor-made tools of their own. Two examples of this would be Pinterest Analytics and YouTube Keyword Tool.
- You can use a number of the previous tools for finding out information on inbound as well as outbound links though for the sake of being thorough you should look into getting your own crawl bot like Xenu or Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool. Though be warned as these are two powerful tools that should never be ran simultaneously on the same website or else you will run the risk of crashing your server.
7. Be sure to choose a reliable internet browser that allows for plugs/extensions. I use Google Chrome, though there’s also Firefox and Safari. I would not recommend using Internet Explorer as I have found it rather trouble some.
Chrome is very useful when it comes to switching between Google tools and browser information.
8. Be sure to follow plenty reliable resources to remain on top of the latest in SEO related news. Two examples of reputable blogs that I follow would be the; Google Official Webmaster Blog and Elite Strategies Official SEO blog.
9. Make Yourself Known! Take advantage of social media. Follow relevant people in the field of SEO. Just make sure you’re posting regularly to maintain your followers as you continue to attract more viewers; Twitter is renowned for follow backs. Also learn some common Social Media Optimization (SMO) techniques such as focusing on the ultimate goal of generating more authority around your name and profession.
10. My final SEO tip for beginners follows the creation of your Social Media accounts. To put it simply your accounts must utilize SMO techniques as there are many advantages to be discovered including opportunities for link building and brand strengthening.
Hit all of your major social media food groups: Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc.